Bedford Park, Toronto

 


Bedford Park began as a farming hamlet north of Toronto. The hamlet was a popular stopover for farmers making their way to market in the city. The neighbourhood was likely named after the Bedford Park Hotel, which opened in 1873 at the southwest corner of Yonge Street and Fairlawn Avenue, just north of Lawrence Avenue.

In 1890 Bedford Park was amalgamated with the hamlets of Davisville and Eglinton to the south, and incorporated as the City of North Toronto. In the same year, the Metropolitan Street Railway of Toronto began service to the area, encouraging residential development.

Bedford Park is bisected by Yonge Street, lying north of Lawrence Avenue and east of Avenue Road. The northern boundary is Brooke Avenue on the West side of Yonge, and Snowdon Avenue to the east of Yonge. The eastern boundary is Ronan Avenue. There is also a school at Yonge and Lawrence called Bedford Park Public School.

The original homes in the area were constructed between 1890 and 1940. Bedford Park was conceived as a middle class housing development on the northern boundary of the city, with mid-sized detached and semi-detached homes. The relocation of the Rosedale Golf Club in 1909 to the section of the Don Valleynortheast of Bedford Park brought about development of the (more moneyed) bordering neighbourhoods of Lawrence Park and Teddington Park. This has skyrocketed the property values of Bedford Park homes.

Bedford Park's quiet streets, mature trees, good schools and parks, and proximity to Highway 401 and Lawrence subway station attract young professionals and their families to the neighbourhood. Many of the original homes still stand, with a number having undergone extensive renovations. A portion of the original homes in the neighbourhood have been torn down and replaced with larger, more modern homes.

 

 

[edit]City of Toronto Definition

The City of Toronto's neighbourhood definitions place Bedford Park within a larger neighbourhood, called Bedford Park-Nortown. The border of this larger area extend to Bathurst Street on the west, Highway 401 to the north, Hillhurst Boulevard (just north of Eglinton Avenue) to the south, and zigzags from northeast to southwest along Yonge Street and Avenue Road.

[edit]Schools

-Bannockburn School- an independent Montessori school located on Bannockburn Avenue. Established in 1993, it provides Montessori programs for Toddler (18 months - 3 years), Preschool (3 – 6 years), and Elementary (6 – 12 years) ages.

-John Wanless Public School- an elementary school located at Fairlawn Avenue established in 1926.